Severe ulcer on rasbora

Akvaarioiden ja kalojen hoito, ongelmat, sairaudet jne.

Valvoja: Moderaattorit

Alueen säännöt
Ennen kuin esität kysymyksesi, huolehdi, että ainakin osa seuraavista tiedoista ovat viestissäsi:
  1. akvaarion tilavuus ja mitat
  2. Valaistus (millaiset putket, esim. 58W Philips 86)
  3. Suodatus (suodattimien merkit ja mallit)
  4. Akvaarion hoito (vedenvaihdot, ruokinta, kasvilannoiteet yms.)
  5. Akvaarion asukit (kalat + muut eliöt)
  6. Vesiarvot (pH, GH, KH, NO2-, NO3-, lämpötila)
  7. Mikä on ongelma ja miten se esiintyy? Täysi kertomus kalan/kasvien oireista
  8. Milloin huomasit ongelman, onko jatkunut jo kauan? Onko ollut jotain muita ongelmia?

Ilmoittamalla ainakin osan em. tiedoista heti ensimäisessä viestissä, varmistat että muilla on helppo työ vastata viestiin ja näin ratkaista mahdolliset ongelmat. Kiitos!
Vastaa Viestiin
PurpleWorm
Starting Member
Starting Member

Severe ulcer on rasbora

Viesti Kirjoittaja PurpleWorm »

Hello. My lambchop rasbora has a nasty ulcer on the base of his tail. He got infected, because he got bitten by one of his mates (they are currently in the breeding mood). Aquarium salt and myxazin waterlife didn't help and the infection kept getting worse. When this happened in the past to another rasbora I also tried antibiotics (nifurpirinol - the only antibiotic that is available for fish in EU), but the fish didn't survive, so I knew I had to do something else and act fast. In Clinical Guide to Fish Medicine book I found information that its possible to use hydrogen peroxide dips for treating skin infections. As there wasn't information available for safe dosage for lambhop rasboras, I decided to apply hydrogen peroxide with a q-tip on the ulcer. It seemed to help - microbial plaque disappeared from the wound. However, when I was doing a water change, the poor guy decided that he has had enough of my treatments and jumped out of the tank when I was putting the lid back on the tank. He survived the jump, but damaged slime coat on the side that had the wound. After that everything seemed to be fine for a week or two. But then I noticed that the wound started to look swollen. I was not sure if its a normal part of healing or not. But then two days ago I noticed that the swollen part had disappeared, leaving a horrible hole in fishes tail revealing muscle tissue. The poor guy seems to be in pain - although he is still moving around, he is breathing heavily and hiding.

Is there anything I can do to help him? For ulcers in koi veterinarians seem to use diluted betadine with some powder that acts as a band aid for fish. I have betadine at home, but I don't have that powder. Should I still try to apply it? Or should I just add some salt to water to alleviate osmotic pressure and leave him to die in peace?

Additional info:
Tank - 40 L
Inhabitants - 7 adult and 2 teenage lambchop rasboras (they will soon be moved to 90 l) and a bunch of ramshorn snails
Sera sponge filter (connected to air pump), water changes 1-2 times a week 1/3 of water,
Water parameters - NH4 0, NO2 0, NO3 0.5, pH 7.2, t +24C, KH 3, GH 4.
Lode
Sukupuoli: Nainen

Re: Severe ulcer on rasbora

Viesti Kirjoittaja Lode »

It's nice that you are interested in the well-being of your fish, and clearly, you have tried hard already to save the fish. Since it's so small fish and from my experience, doesn't live more than 4-5 years even with good care, I would let him out of his misery and just put him down, if the fish stops eating, hides, and seems to be in pain.
Vastaa Viestiin

Palaa sivulle “Hoito, ongelmat ja kalataudit”